Weekly Current Affairs from 1st to 7th December 2020
Your guide for Weekly General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs from 1st December 2020 to 7th December 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge.
Going through these on a regular basis, you get to learn of the major news events on a weekly basis.For ease of use, the news is divided into different categories. This post is all about providing you substance to deal with exams and provide in-depth coverage of important topics.
1. Sahakar Pragya initiative
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar unveiled a new initiative called Sahakar Pragya which is an initiative of National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC).
- Narendra Singh Tomar is the Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Rural Development, Panchayat Raj and Food Processing Industries.
- Aim: To help in capacity development of the cooperative sector in India, through the training programme.
2. International Sand Art Festival & Konark Festival 2020
- The 9th edition of the International Sand Art Festival and the 31st edition of the Konark Festival has started in Odisha.
1. Suryadhar Lake
- Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat has inaugurated the Suryadhar lake at Doiwala, Dehradun.
- Governor of Uttarakhand: Baby Rani Maurya.
2. Aadi Mahotsav – Madhya Pradesh
- Minister for Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda has launched the first-ever virtual edition of Aadi Mahotsav – Madhya Pradesh to showcase the tribal traditions of the various tribal communities.
1. BAFTA Breakthrough initiative in India
- AR Rahman has been roped in as ‘BAFTA Breakthrough’ India ambassador in India.
2. Climate Emergency in New Zealand
- New Zealand has declared a “climate emergency” and promised to make its public sector carbon neutral by 2025.
3. Second nation to plant flag on the Moon
- China has become the second country in the world to plant its national flag on the moon surface.
- China has achieved the historic feat with ‘Chang’e 5’ probe Satellite.
Schemes and Committees News
1. Apex Committee for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (AIPA)
- India Government has set up an Apex Committee for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (AIPA) for achieving its goals.
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) secretary R P Gupta will be the head of this committee.
1. Lucknow Municipal Corporation Bonds on Bombay Stock Exchange
- Lucknow is the 9th city in India and first from UP, to have raised municipal bonds for fundraising.
- Lucknow Municipal Corporation is the first civic body from North India to issue a bond on BSE.
2. Axis Bank Rupi Business Credit Card
- Axis Bank Ltd in partnership with Rupifi and Visa launched ‘Axis Bank Rupifi Business Credit Card’ for MSMEs.
- Axis Bank Headquarters: Mumbai || MD and CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry
3. LenS-The Lending Solution
- Punjab National Bank has launched a tech-based loan management solution ‘LenS-The Lending Solution’, to speed up and maintain accuracy in online loan processing and sanctioning of credit proposals.
4. RTGS system to be available on 24×7 basis
- RTGS system to be available on 24×7 basis from December 14
- Real Time Gross Settlement, abbreviated as RTGS systems are specialist funds transfer systems where the transfer of money or securities takes place from one bank to any other bank on a “real-time” and on a “gross” basis.
1. New CEO of Bata
- Bata Shoe Organization has appointed Sandeep Kataria as the new global CEO.
- Bata Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
2. 2020 Fortune 500 list of Indian companies
- Top Three
- 1. Reliance
- 2. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd
- 3. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
3. Space-technology start-up “Pixxel” with ISRO
- space-technology start-up “Pixxel”, has signed a pact with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to launch its first remote-sensing satellite.
- ISRO Chairman: K.Sivan || ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru
1. Book ’40 Years with Abdul Kalam- Untold Stories’ by Dr A.Sivathanu Pillai
Science and Technology News
1. India’s first indigenously developed 100 Octane premium petrol
- IOCL has launched India’s first 100 Octane Premium Petrol.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited Chairperson: Shrikant Madhav Vaidya || Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Chairperson of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB): IAS officer Varsha Joshi
- Secretary-General of Lok Sabha: IAS Officer Utpal Kumar Singh
- Fit India Movement Ambassador: Kuldeep Handoo
- World AIDS Day: 1 December || Theme: ‘Global solidarity, shared responsibility’.
- Border Security Force (BSF) Day: 1 December
- World Computer Literacy Day: 2 December
- International Day for the Abolition of Slavery: 2 December
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities: 3 December || Theme: ‘Not all Disabilities are Visible’.
- International Day of Banks: 4 December
- Indian Navy Day: 04 December
- World Soil Day: 05 December || Theme: ‘Keep soil alive, protect soil biodiversity’
- International Volunteer Day: 05 December || Theme: ‘Together We Can Through Volunteering’.
- Armed Forces Flag Day: 7 December
- International Civil Aviation Day: 07 December || Theme: ‘Advancing Innovation for Global Aviation Development’.
- The owner of MDH Masala, ‘Mahashay’ Dharampal Gulati passes away
- Lakshadweep Administrator Dineshwar Sharma passes away
- Father of Fibre Optics Narinder Singh Kapany passes away
- Veteran Bengali actor Manu Mukherjee passes away
- Veteran Marathi actor Ravi Patwardhan passes away
Agreements and MoUs
- India & USA have signed MoU on Intellectual Property Cooperation.
- Best Police Station in India: Nongpok Sekmai Police Station in Manipur
- Gitanjali Rao has become 1st-ever ‘Kid Of The Year’ by TIME magazine for her “astonishing work” using technology to tackle issues ranging from contaminated drinking water to opioid addiction and cyberbullying.
- Global Teacher Prize 2020
- Ranjitsinh Disale, a Government teacher from Solapur, Maharashtra, has won the 2020 Global Teacher Prize.
- The award is for his recognition to promote girls’ education in his village and trigger a quick-response (QR) coded textbook revolution in India.
Rankings and Indexes
1. US Air Quality Index by US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Top three world’s most polluted cities
- Lahore, Pakistan
- New Delhi
- Kathmandu, Nepal
2. Global Terrorism Index 2020
- Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2020, India has been ranked at 8th spot globally in the list of countries most affected by terrorism in 2019.
- Afghanistan has topped the index as the worst terror impacted nation among the 163 countries.
Defense News & Military Exercises
1. Exercise PASSEX is being organised between Indian Navy and the Russian Federation Navy in Indian Ocean.
1. Bahrain Grand Prix 2020
- Winner: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain)
- Runner-up: Max Verstappen (Red Bull-Netherlands)
2. England’s Cricketer Dawid Malan
- Dawid Malan of England has attained the highest-ever rating points (915 Points) for batsmen in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s T20I Player Rankings.
3. New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson has retired from all forms of Cricket